Thursday, March 24, 2011

Latte Rebellion by Sarah Jamila Stevenson 4/5 Stars


Delish cover art, LITERALLY, I want to inhale it!
 I chose this book from the YA Debute Author Challenge because I am raising racially mixed children, then as I was reading I realized that it was my story as well!
Without giving too much of my own story, I really identified with the narrator of the novel.  All of the expectaions, whether negative or positive, of your family, your classmate, your co-workers, teachers and society as a whole places on a person, or group of people based on their ethnicity or race.
The narrator really lets us share her anger, fear and angst of being a racially mixed teenager. She lets the reader know what she is thinking at all times, but holds back a lot from her friends and family for fear of hurting them or because she thinks she may sound dumb. 
The back story to the novel is how sometimes friendships grow apart, people grow in seperate directions.  While I was hurting from the main character, Asha, I was also happy that she was growing so much as person to realize when you have to move on.
Since I have this on my Kindle, I really hope to share someday with my own kids.  I'm not sure about people who got their copies in print, but the Kindle version had quite a few typos.  It's didn't take aways from the story in anyway, I'm just sayin...

Quick Summary:
A senior in high school of mixed ethnicities realizes, after an altercation with another student, that there aren't any clubs at her school that address the needs of the student population of mixed ethniciites and starts one. There is and Asian Club, a Black Club and a Chicano Club, none of which she and her two other friends feel they identify with.
At first it starts out as a way to make some extra cash, with a catchy phrase and some t-shirt sales, but as the message reaches more people she realizes that its a real issue.  That 60 years before she was born, her parents may not have been allowed to marry.
Some people don't like her group's message and this is where the conflict begins. Also, she feels that her parents wouldn't understand the devotion to the movement, much less if it's taking time away from her being the perfect straight A student.

No comments:

Post a Comment